Content Oriented Web
Contact info
Apply for two complimentary expert hours

Blue Green and Zero Downtime Deployment

Zero Downtime Deployment by OpsWorks Co.

Zero Downtime Deployment

Since most services are online today, an hour of downtime may cost them thousands, sometimes millions of dollars. Whether it is because of an unexpected outage or planned post-release downtime, we can prevent it. Zero-downtime deployment approaches are designed to avoid IT disruptions while the service is being updated.

With the expertise on how to do a zero-downtime deployment, the development teams can update their products while still providing the services.

Zero Downtime Deployment

Since most services are online today, an hour of downtime may cost them thousands, sometimes millions of dollars. Whether it is because of an unexpected outage or planned post-release downtime, we can prevent it. Zero-downtime deployment approaches are designed to avoid IT disruptions while the service is being updated.

With the expertise on how to do a zero-downtime deployment, the development teams can update their products while still providing the services.
OpsWorks Co.
Seamless deployment
Continuous Service Providing
How many times have you seen this pop up from your bank: 'Sorry, the service is temporarily unavailable'? Zero downtime and blue-green deployment approaches are specifically designed to prevent online services from downtime and, therefore, allow them to retain their customers.
The bigger the service, the more costly the update can be due to the interruption in its availability. By running identical production environments and simply pressing a button to switch from one environment to another, companies eliminate risks and maintain their reputation. This specifically concerns financial services, streaming platforms, and eCommerce projects.

Zero downtime deployment also ensures a quick and safe roll back to the previous version in case the new update is not functioning correctly.

The business benefits of Zero Downtime Deployment

Zero Downtime Deployment: Our Expertise
100+ companies worldwide trust us as their continuous integration provider
Blue-Green Deployment
Canary Deployment
Rolling Deployment
Deployment Support
Technologies we use
Let's discuss your project
Contact our specialists to define your needs and build an action plan on your infrastructure improvement

What does the typical blue-green deployment process look like?

The whole idea of ensuring blue-green deployments is maintaining two identical production environments — blue and green, often A and B. One of them is active — Blue — which means it receives all incoming requests and serves the production traffic. When you prepare a new version of your app or web service, you deploy it and conduct all tests on the idle environment — Green.
At this point, you might be wondering what the difference between zero downtime deployment and blue-green is. It's as simple as this:

Zero downtime deployment is an approach to implementation that includes several practices that have slight differences:

  • Blue-Green Deployment. There are two identical environments: one is active, the other is idle. Testing of a new version is conducted on the idle one. It later becomes active after the tests are over. Contact us to learn how to implement blue-green deployment.

  • Canary. It differs from the blue-green deployment by only one factor — you don't switch 100% of the traffic to an idle environment. Instead, you roll out only 30% of traffic to a new version to test it, while the other 70% is still on the previous version.

  • Rolling Deployment. When the new version is fully tested and ready for release, the instances are slowly, one by one, rolled out to the active environment. This minimizes the probability of system failure.
Apply for two complimentary expert hours and eliminate the risk of post-release downtime forever.

Zero Downtime Deployment vs. Blue Green

This is why A and B should be identical — to make sure that when you go live with your new version, nothing goes wrong. When ready, you switch the router to the Green environment. Now it's active and processes 100% of the incoming traffic when the Blue one becomes idle. The zero-downtime deployment approach drastically reduces risk: if something goes wrong on a live environment, it only takes you a second to switch traffic back to the Blue and continue testing on Green.
Scale your business with a reliable and efficient IT-infrastructure.
No downtime. No drawbacks. All autonomous.